Cambridge Public Library
Cambridge, MA

The Library includes a striking new glass building of 76,700 square feet joined to the restored 27,200 square foot landmark, designed in 1887 by Van Brunt & Howe and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building has capacity for over 275,000 books, 90 computer stations, reservable meeting rooms and a 220 seat auditorium. The project includes an underground parking garage with a 33,000 sf green roof and the restored Joan Lorentz Park. Opened in 2009. LEED Silver Certified. The Associate Architect is Ann Beha Architects.

A commitment to sustainability, the building’s main facade is a double-skin curtainwall. It is the first US example that incorporates all key ingredients of advanced European Double-Skin Curtainwall technology:


· 3’-0” Deep Airspace
· Multi-story Thermal Flue
· Movable 1’-0” Deep Sunshades
2010 Harleston Parker Medal for the Most Beautiful Building in Boston, BSA; 2012 CNU Charter Award, Congress for the New Urbanism; 2010 Annual Design Review Award, ARCHITECT Magazine (November 2010 Issue); 2010 Honor Award, New England Chapter, AIA; 2010 Honor Award, BSA
Photography: © Robert Benson; © Chuck Choi
SHARE +