Cambridge Public Library
Cambridge, MA

The Library includes a striking new glass building of 76,700 square feet joined to the restored 27,200 square foot landmark, designed in 1887 by Van Brunt & Howe and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building has capacity for over 275,000 books, 90 computer stations, reservable meeting rooms and a 220 seat auditorium. The project includes an underground parking garage with a 33,000 sf green roof and the restored Joan Lorentz Park. Opened in 2009. LEED Silver Certified. The Associate Architect is Ann Beha Architects.

A commitment to sustainability, the building’s main facade is a double-skin curtainwall. It is the first US example that incorporates all key ingredients of advanced European Double-Skin Curtainwall technology:

· 3’-0” Deep Airspace
· Multi-story Thermal Flue
· Movable 1’-0” Deep Sunshades
2010 Harleston Parker Medal for the Most Beautiful Building in Boston, BSA
2012 CNU Charter Award, Congress for the New Urbanism
2010 Annual Design Review Award, ARCHITECT Magazine (November 2010 Issue)
2010 Honor Award, New England Chapter, AIA
2010 Honor Award, BSA
Photography: © Robert Benson; © Chuck Choi
SHARE +